From its inception, involvement in the Passaic community was a major part of the identity of First Presbyterian Church of Passaic. We were instrumental in founding Passaic General Hospital, the Board of Education, and the Board of Social Welfare.
In August 2008 we moved into a new building. This is the fourth building owned by this congregation in its history of ministry to the city of Passaic and the surrounding communities. Our new building was originally built as a synagogue for the B'nai Jacob congregation in 1927. It was eventually sold to a Christian Church, then abandoned before being purchased by the Nuevos Comienzos congregation in 2002. They fully restored the sanctuary as well as ground floor offices, classrooms, fellowship hall, and bathrooms. It is conveniently situated next to Rt. 21 near the Passaic City Hall. There is convenient, safe, well-lit on-street parking.
From 1920 until 1968 the church was pastored by Dr. George H. Talbott. In addition to his work as Chair of the Board of Trustees of Bloomfield College and his service to the national Presbyterian Church, Dr. Talbott is remembered for his devotion to the City of Passaic and his compassion for her residents. He served on the board or steering committee of every major social service agency in the town and provided guidance to mayors, hospital presidents, school superintendents and fellow clergy.
In recent years the fortunes of the church, like those of the town have changed, and the pastor and Session realized that important decisions needed to be made about our future. Reconnecting with the community was a "must," and to that end we have partnered with the United Passaic Organization to sponsor a Food Pantry. The church has also become home to a "Strengthening Families" program, several twelve step programs (nightly AA meetings and weekly sexaholics anonymous group) and we are pleased to host special programs for Head Start, PTOs, and others.
God's faithfulness in the past gives us hope for the future. To that end, we have begun seeking signs and symbols to make our welcome known.